News - Familiy Meeting 2005
News - Familiy Meeting 2005
Switch to German language
Switch to English language
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Friedrichsfeld (2001: c 210 inhabitants)

main street 1905

main street 1905
(picture postcard in family property)

aerial picture c 1975

aerial picture c 1975
(Source: commemorative publication on the 200-year celebration 1976)

aerial picture c 1999

aerial picture c 1999
(source: Blessing)


10 families (together 41 people) from the villages of Mensfelden and Ennerich (near Limburg) arrive in the district of Trendelburg.

The families coming from the area of Kurtrier had initially wanted to emigrate to Prussia in order to get away from the high taxes and duties in their home region. Envoys from Mensfelden were sent to Prussia to inspect the domiciles which were intended for the emigrants. While they took a rest in Kassel, authorities got to know about their plans.
As there were still areas suffering from the consesequences of the Seven Years' War (1756-1763), the envoys were offered privileges and all kind of protection, if they could make their protégés settle down in the area of Trendelburg, near the so called "Hammelstall".
The village resulting from this process was usually called a "colony" and took its name after the Landgrave Friedrich II of Hesse-Kassel, "Friedrichsfeld" (this means Frederick's field).

First the families were acommodated partly in Trendelburg, partly in temporary buildings. They started to build the first 4 houses (stone houses). In the first time, all families lived together in those houses. The sites - called "portion estates" - were given to the colonists in hereditary lease.
The first colonists were:

  1. Georg Wilhelm Lieber sen., Mensfelden

  2. Anton Lieber sen., Mensfelden

  3. Wilhelm Lieber jun., Mensfelden

  4. Anton Lieber jun., Mensfelden
    (before 1835, 2 of the Lieber sites went to different owners)

  5. Georg Philipp Zollmann, Mensfelden
    (died 29.3.1776, followed as a colonist by his son Johann Balthasar Zollmann)

  6. Georg Anton Frickhöfer, Mensfelden (emigrated to America around 1850)

  7. Christian Deußer, Mensfelden
    (after his death Justus Quentin followed him as a colonist on 30.4.1799)

  8. Johann Friedrich Steinbert, Ennerich
    (until 1790, followed as a colonist by Georg Ludwig Lotze from Hemeln)

  9. Johann Georg Schleiffer, Ennerich

  10. Johannes Bender, Ennerich (until c 1790)


6 more houses were built in timberframe style. The village now also included 10 wooden storage buildings and stables, a bakery building and a well.


First teacher Georg Ludwig Lotze from Hemeln, arrives with his mother and brothers and sisters. The family buys site number 8 from the Steinbert family.


The first schoolhouse is built with an appartment for the teacher .

about 1850

In Kurhesse the hereditary lease system is abolished. The hereditary lease estates are changed into private property. The duties are changed to taxes or payed off. At the same time all privileges that had remained for legal heirs are abolished, too.


A strong cloudburst comes down in the district, the heaps of water inflict awful devastations and heavy damage. Two stone bridges are destroyed and stones with a weight of twenty hundredweigths (20.000 kilos) are rolled down to the railway station in Trendelburg. The road to Trendelburg is completely destroyed and impassable, in some places it is less than 1 meter wide.

spring 1897

The municipality starts to build a water pipeline. In summer it is completed.

1914 - 1918

World War I
The families in Friedrichsfeld lose 9 men, either as soldiers killed in action or missed.


A transformer for electricity is built, but due to war the building process has to be stopped.


Electric light: Light lines and power points for the houses have been constructed since May 1920. On Saturday, November 20th, in the evening at 7 p.m. for the first time electric light lightens some houses, and on Monday everybody get their power points.


Official Opening of a memorial in the cemetery which reminds of the soldiers from Friedrichsfeld killed in World War I (building costs: 1.646.980 Mark - this is the time of the inflation).


Foundation of the gymnastics club (called Turn- und Sportverein TSV Friedrichsfeld since 1950).


The main street is reinforced with an asphalt surface by Austrian workers.


Beginning of World War II


People evacuated from Saarbrücken are accommodated in Friedrichsfeld. According to that, the number of schoolchildren rises from 10 to 22. (Until November 1940 all return home.)

Beginning of April 1945

Americans move into Friedrichsfeld - coming over the Deiselberg (a hill) - and occupy the village. The people seek shelter in their cellars. Friedrichsfeld gets shot at (bullet holes in house no. 16).


End of World War II
15 men have been killed als soldiers in action rsp. are missed.


Refoundation of the male choral society (conductor: teacher Schulz).

October 1951

Foundation of the Voluntary Fire Brigade Friedrichsfeld. 29 foundation members.


At the war memorial on the cemetery a memorial plate for the victims of World War II is officially opened. Financed by donations in the municipality, the plate was made by the sculptor Hügues, Hümme.


Building of a gymnasium.


Within the so called "Example measure Trendelburg" in Friedrichsfeld a reparcelling of the agricultural land of the community is started, along with new settling, increasing and resettling.


Official opening of the newly built Protestant church.
Until then, the service was held in the so called praying hall (this is the teaching room) in the school house, where wedding ceremonies were held, too.
From 1776 until end of the 1820s the (mostly Protestant-Lutheran) people of Friedrichsfeld had walked to attend church service in Karlshafen. During the 1830s, they changed to Trendelburg and with that also to the Protestant-Reformed confession.


Official opening of the new building for the fire brigade with a hose tower.


The schoolchildren from Friedrichsfeld are for the first time bussed to the neighbouring villages where they attend age-grouped classes, instead of the former one-class school in Friedrichsfeld.


Reinforcement of the side streets of the village (with asphalt surface).


Friedrichsfeld becomes part of municipality "Stadt Trendelburg", a municipality with several villages and the town of Trendelburg.


200-years-celebration of the foundation of the village.

1986 and 2001

Extension of the gymnasium, addition of a common room and kitchen.

06.-08. Juli 2001

225-years-celebration of the foundation of the village.


To the top - Imprint